The Dive Matrix -- Scuba Diving  

1. Register to join the Dive Matrix Scuba Diving community
Local Diver Search Photo Galleries Events Calendar Register for Free Register for Free Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enable your Suunto Gekko for downloading

Default Enable your Suunto Gekko for downloading

For those of you with the Gekko, Suunto lied to you. The Gekko saves the information about a dive just like it's 'bigger' brothers do. Only the Suunto Software refuses to recognize the Gekko.

Here is a program to change that.

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephot...ekko2vyper.zip

It fools the software into believing your Gekko is a Vyper, the "SDM" will then download the dives. The program does no harm to the Gekko, and as long as you change it back after you download the data there is no way to know the change was made.

CIBDiving

and not only is his software awesome. Make sure you ask him about the best use of a 30lb weight belt.

Oh my god, how tacky of Suunto. What are they hoping to do, eke a few extra years out of Vyper production?

It's too bad I don't download dives, I would relish *enabling* my Gekko's forbidden functions.

Kihei, Hawaii / Prince George, BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by archman View Post
    Oh my god, how tacky of Suunto. What are they hoping to do, eke a few extra years out of Vyper production?

It's too bad I don't download dives, I would relish *enabling* my Gekko's forbidden functions.
    The Gekko is essentially the Vyper, minus two features (both reasonably major, in my use, but no big deal to others).

The Gekko *supposedly* would not download to the SDM.

And, the Gekko lacks the backlight/electroluminescent screen that the Vyper has. Instead, it reacts like a typical gauge console, in that you "charge" it with your light.

Aside from that, the same functionality for about $100 less... hmm... makes you wonder.

It was initially introduced to meet a market need for two things: 1) cheap rental computer for dive ops; 2) excellent entry-level computer.

You'll note that compared to similar priced computers, it has a great deal of features -- there are a bunch that won't do anything except air for that price (at least, last I checked). Gekko is fully functional EAN computer.

Anyone know what one would use to open this file on a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by MissDirected View Post
    Anyone know what one would use to open this file on a Mac?
    You'd need a PC emulator, the file is a Windows based program.
    If you use a Mac you don't need this anyway. This program only effects the Suunto SDM program. I don't believe Suunto makes a Mac version of their software, do they? If you need Dive logging software for the Mac, I recomend this : http://www.macdivelog.com/
    It will download your Gekko with no trouble. It's not 'free' however.
    CIBDiving
    Veni, Vidi, Relinqui

Alright I will have a look at the other, thanks. Certainly not going to run out and buy a pc for my Gekko

IIRC, the software I've seen for the Gekko actually changes the Gekko into calling itself a Vyper so that SDM will read its memory.

You can buy a PC emulator if this software doesn't strike your fancy. I believe Microsoft has VirtualPC that will run on Macs (both Intel & Motorola)... it's not super fast (unless you're running a newer MacIntel) but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by MissDirected View Post
    Alright I will have a look at the other, thanks. Certainly not going to run out and buy a pc for my Gekko
    You still need to add the $99 interface cable.
    Here's about the cheapest USB version available. It'll work with the Gekko too.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Interface...QQcmdZViewItem
    CIBDiving
    Veni, Vidi, Relinqui

I don't get it. If the Gekko isn't really supposed to download stuff - why is there an interface connection on it?
    Kim.
    "Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." Dalai Lama.

Because it's cheaper for Suunto to build all their h/w the same. And it gives the dive shops the "clear dive history" option for their rental Gekkos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I don't get it. If the Gekko isn't really supposed to download stuff - why is there an interface connection on it?
    Those are also the contacts that allow the computer to auto-activate when it hits the water.

Any major advantage to the USB cable over the old serial cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Damselfish View Post
    Any major advantage to the USB cable over the old serial cable?
    Not to the dive computer. A thing to consider is the host computer, some notebooks don't have a RS232 port, If you try to save money with the RS232 cable, then need a USB, the adapter is rather expensive and doesn't work that well in all cases.

Quote Originally Posted by David H View Post
    Because it's cheaper for Suunto to build all their h/w the same. And it gives the dive shops the "clear dive history" option for their rental Gekkos.
    It wasn't just a 'clear history' function that cleared dive,time and max depth. Suunto produced a program that cleared the computer of nitrogen load also. It basically did what removing the batteries would do. Only a dive shop could get it and only if they bought so many Gekkos for rental. I've written a similar program for the "D" model computers, it's available on my website.
    CIBDiving
    Veni, Vidi, Relinqui

For the mac enthusiast (ie, geek), jdivelog should also get your gekko. jdivelog works well with linux, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast