The Dive Matrix -- Scuba Diving  

1. Register to join the Dive Matrix Scuba Diving community
Local Diver Search Photo Galleries Events Calendar Register for Free Register for Free Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RB Divers

No longer choking on hadji-land moondust.

Inspiration here..........
    MMMMMMMMM..... Beeeeer! -Homer J. Simpson

We (dive buddy and I) dive Megs and are VERY happy with them. Extremely versatile and reliable units, almost indestructible (I try almost every weekend!), sure there are things that can be improved but so far we love it.

Dive safe,

Celia
    Every man has a sane spot somewhere.
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Celia E View Post
    We (dive buddy and I) dive Megs and are VERY happy with them. Extremely versatile and reliable units, almost indestructible (I try almost every weekend!), sure there are things that can be improved but so far we love it.

Dive safe,

Celia
    Celia are you taking them into the caves? One of the big reasons I went over to a breather is I like the wrecks. I like to go deep into the wrecks and that gas becomes pretty darn precious if something slows you up. Besides the lack of silting everything out with bubbles bouncing around rust covered overhead environments. AND besides just plain being a lot of fun a breather was the natural choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by College Diver View Post
    while the answers may be over my head, I am curious...

The Inspiration (Vision) has a full decompression computer which comes standard.

I have been told that the Dive Rite also comes with full decompression firmware.

do either of these systems remain intact and useful should the diver need to "bail-out" on OC scuba?

When it comes to that question there are a lot of options on what you can use. My system only monitors my PPO2's which are redundant O2 cell monitors of each other. In the head there are three O2 sensors which feeds the info to the monitors. I use a VR-3 in CCR mode which has a bailout option you can switch to. There is another option you can get with that computer which monitors scrubber temperatures and that gives you indication of scrubber life which comes into play on longer deep dives but I'm still not sure if I'm going to use that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Celt5494 View Post
    Celia are you taking them into the caves? <snip>
    I can say, with a high degree of certainty, that she is.

Brian

I dive the o2ptima fx. It is a great machine. After getting your cert on this or any CCR get as many hrs as you can. You will be surpirsed that after 200 dives min you are just starting to learn and remember always know ur ppo2. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
    I don't know why you think you will want a single tank OC rig in the future. Unless you are an instructor and MUST teach in OC gear, most CC divers that I know would prefer to remain CC on all dives ever after the switch.

The only OC diving I plan on doing is my bailout drills. ;-)

And just maybe if I were to "be somewhere warm" without my dive gear, I'd rent OC just so I could dive. But I'd always prefer to dive my CCR.

-S
    Quote Originally Posted by VideoDude View Post
    Interesting observation. When you dive these rigs for a while and have them go belly-up on you during an expedition you may think "wish I brought OC". I was on a recent expedition and one of our team members had his brand new electronics go out on dive #1. Very expensive considering he brought it up all the way from lower S. America to the upper limits of North America. Luckily for me I left Mrs. RB at home.

Additionally, any rebreather diver on an important mission will have redundant electronics, or even complete RB set-ups/clones for those "what if" moments which can happen all too often. I have a backup RB's for just that purpose.

Additionally, there is a romance period with these pieces of kit. Similar to a human relationship, adoration for your loverly RB can go in multiple directions. After 9 years of diving these things I can say that they are worth if for dives below a 100 and only if she (RB) doesn't give me much of a hassle. I don't much appreciate pretty and finicky these days.

VD
    Couple of things.

1. Yep. Went and became an instructor this past summer (SDI OW instructor). So I spent the summer diving single tank OC again, and actually really enjoyed it. Was pleasantly surprised to find that after 3 years of CC diving my SAC was better than it was the last time I was on OC.

2. That said, I was so happy to go back to my RB this fall - even for the 'club' dives with OC divers. I had no gas worries, could spend the dive quietly taking pictures without disturbing the critters (as much as OC bubbles), and could spend quality time at say 80-90 ft taking video of wolf eels without worrying about gas consumption. A small bit of deco is the only trade off.

3. My rig has been very good to me. The only issues have occurred on the surface during the pre-dive preparation, and I have spares that serve me well. Besides, if I were going on an expedition type dive, I'd still have my BP and wing with SM bailout. Worst case, I could still dive OC using the bailout cylinders as SM doubles.

Cheers,

-S

A kick in the pants for this thread...

I dive a rEvo III Hybrid and just love it.

Well, seeing how this age-old thread has been given a "kick in the pants," I will chime in... Dive and teach on a Pelagian... a diver controlled CCR with a very, very simple design. As with any rebreather it has opened up some interesting possibilities.

I do still dive OC but only sidemount.

Another PRISM Topaz here (well, 4, to be exact)
    Best regards -

gkn
    --
    Gerard K. Newman - NAUI #48937 - Kona, HI

Just started diving a KISS GEM about 2 months ago and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dive-aholic View Post
    Just started diving a KISS GEM about 2 months ago and loving it!
    Rob: Looking forward to seeing this solution when we next invade Marianna in September.

Maybe another kick in the butt...

Went straight from sports-diving-configuration to diving a Poseidon Discovery in January 2012 - never looked back.
    I did that to increase my time in the water but to avoid the hauling of huge doubles...
    It all boils down to me still being an air-guzzler after 221 dives... (Yes, my first breather-dive was dive number 222... )

One year later, I'm now just short to complete the course for the Trimix-Battery, primarily to get rid of the damn blinking light (warning that NDL is 5mins or less...) that got me the nickname "Rudolph the reindeer", but also to be able to breath a little helium - my usual sites are the nicest between 30 and 40m (90-130ft) depth...

I'm now more-or-less forced to dive doubles for the courses of cavern and cave-diving...
    That reminded me why I went the CCR-route in the first place...
    It was awfull...

Cheers,
    Dany

Quote Originally Posted by Danyboy View Post
    Maybe another kick in the butt...

Went straight from sports-diving-configuration to diving a Poseidon Discovery in January 2012 - never looked back.
    I did that to increase my time in the water but to avoid the hauling of huge doubles...
    It all boils down to me still being an air-guzzler after 221 dives... (Yes, my first breather-dive was dive number 222... )

One year later, I'm now just short to complete the course for the Trimix-Battery, primarily to get rid of the damn blinking light (warning that NDL is 5mins or less...) that got me the nickname "Rudolph the reindeer", but also to be able to breath a little helium - my usual sites are the nicest between 30 and 40m (90-130ft) depth...

I'm now more-or-less forced to dive doubles for the courses of cavern and cave-diving...
    That reminded me why I went the CCR-route in the first place...
    It was awfull...

Cheers,
    Dany
    Dany: Old Thread but an interesting one.

Have to say though, there are several agencies (and instructors , offering CCR cave classes.

Hey Doppler...

Quote Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
    Have to say though, there are several agencies ... offering CCR cave classes.
    I fully concur with that statement...

Sadly though there are not many good Discovery-Instructor's around here.
    And as far as I know there is no agency officially teaching the cave on the Disco. :(
    Even if there would be - I doubt there's an instructor near-by of that agency... :(

But I will endure whatever I will need to get that cave-ticket.

As long as I don't have to buy a set of twins just to do the course, but can loan or rent it, I'm fine...

Cheers,
    Dany

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast