The Dive Matrix -- Scuba Diving  


  1. Register to join the Dive Matrix Scuba Diving community
Local Diver Search Photo Galleries Events Calendar Register for Free Register for Free Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Why should I choose the Philippines?

  1. #1
    Here with my friends..... Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kyushu, Japan
    Posts
    440


    Default Why should I choose the Philippines?

    There are lot's of nice places to dive in the Indo-Pacific area. I've dived in Thailand, Malaysia and Okinawa and they're all great. So supposing I didn't know the area, or anyone there, what might be the top ten reasons to make me pick a Philippines destination for a diving holiday, rather than another place?
    Kim.
    "Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." Dalai Lama.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Caloy Samson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    523


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    There are lot's of nice places to dive in the Indo-Pacific area. I've dived in Thailand, Malaysia and Okinawa and they're all great. So supposing I didn't know the area, or anyone there, what might be the top ten reasons to make me pick a Philippines destination for a diving holiday, rather than another place?
    1-10 The PPD

    We'll do a DOR for you!
    _____________________________
    ....it doesn't take much to get this lot here behaving like a pack of wolves with a chicken! - Kim

    ....Marriage is for suckers! "oooooo I want to go diving but the wife won't let me" - Mike Veitch

  3. #3
    Here with my friends..... Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kyushu, Japan
    Posts
    440


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caloy Samson View Post
    1-10 The PPD

    We'll do a DOR for you!
    Yes I know Caloy....and I really appreciate that.

    However - not everyone (new members etc) has any idea who the PPD are, and often the threads that you guys post to are pretty "internal" - not exactly easily accessible to outsiders. In fact, since I was away in Europe for three weeks, hardly anyone seems to have posted here at all.

    How do newbies get a feel for it in situations like that?

    I just thought a thread where the real comparisons and reasons - the diving/cost/beauty/friendliness etc etc was formally thought about and listed for the world to see, might be a good idea.

    Forums like this serve several purposes - among them the friends conversational threads, but also the "ambassador" to the world-wide audience.

    The idea here is to imagine you're selling the place to people who don't have any clue yet - but might become good friends in the future!!!

    (and to be honest I got tired of seeing the "This forum is DEAD thread" as the leading last posted to in the forum!!!! )
    Kim.
    "Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." Dalai Lama.

  4. #4
    Site Moderator Ben V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,419


    Default

    1. Excellent Diving - As the photos will show... lot's of color and critters... The dive operator are very much service oriented (Senorito diving) with valets to help you with everything.... Drop off your bag at the front step of the resort next time you see your dive gear it'll be strapped onto a tank!

    2. Ease of communication - Let's face it everyone speaks english... yeah you might have to get thru the accent sometimes but you would have to travel to the boonies (From the filipino word Bundok as in Mountains).

    3. Value - Best value as far as lodging, food and diving... The diving is very affordable compared to some of the other locations. Food is often very good and plentiful (can you say buffet?)...

    I could go on and on... but I am biased Did my OW there and since I have family I will come home occasionally for a visit with a dive trip on the side.

    Ben
    Today I went to look at Drysuits... and came home with a tube of Aquaseal :(

  5. #5
    Senior Member airsix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington State (East side), USA
    Posts
    546


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    So supposing I didn't know the area, or anyone there, what might be the top ten reasons to make me pick a Philippines destination...
    You answered your own question. The top reason is to get to know the area and the people.

    Mabuhay.

    -Ben

  6. #6
    Here with my friends..... Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kyushu, Japan
    Posts
    440


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airsix View Post
    You answered your own question. The top reason is to get to know the area and the people.

    Mabuhay.

    -Ben
    I don't quite understand that Ben. That would also be a reason to go anywhere in the Indo-Pacific - how and why would I specifically choose the Philippines over somewhere else?
    Kim.
    "Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." Dalai Lama.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Hank49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I don't quite understand that Ben. That would also be a reason to go anywhere in the Indo-Pacific - how and why would I specifically choose the Philippines over somewhere else?
    Two words...San Miguel.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    25


    Default

    Kim,

    The speak English, they love Americans, their favorite music is American rock, they laugh a lot and have a good time, they have the same sense of humor, everything is really inexpensive there, the diving is awesome as the marine life variety and density is superb, inter-island transportation is really inexpensive, there are 7,107 islands so your bound to find what suits your fancy, you can take your pick between pelagics, pygmy seahorses, turtles, sharks, wide angle great vizibility, macro mania, tons of lvie abords and even more land based.

    If you want to get an idea of what it might look like on a dive, check this out:

    Philippines Dive Video

  9. #9
    Junior Member Babydamulag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Culasi, Philippines
    Posts
    23


    Default

    Dude, if we have to go into great detail as to why the Philippines is the best place to dive then you need to get out more often.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Diver Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philippines, Mexico, Canada
    Posts
    713


    Default

    I think that was a leading question from Kim.

    As a Canadian, it's the people for me. I'm building a house here now and the warm, gentle people of the Philippines make life a pleasure. The diving as also much better than I ever imagined.
    "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford
    "Even death is not to be feared by those who lived wisely." Buddha
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not!" Stephen Wright
    http://www.divephotofest.com/

  11. #11
    Here with my friends..... Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kyushu, Japan
    Posts
    440


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dennis View Post
    I think that was a leading question from Kim.
    Absolutely. Unless people spell it out those who don't know won't. I can give people a LOT of reason why they should dive in Thailand or Malaysia for instance because I've been there and done it, but I can't say a word about the Philippines because I haven't.

    The seeming lack of interest in answering this question here probably sends it's own message though. It certainly does to me - I'm busy booking a trip to Thailand again.

    Maybe if I'd gone to the Philippines first or something.......

    I might still change my mind.... (wife gave me a free flight within this sort of range for my birthday.... Thai liveaboards are easy,,,,and REALLY nice - so far it's no contest!!! )
    Kim.
    "Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." Dalai Lama.

  12. #12
    Junior Member Babydamulag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Culasi, Philippines
    Posts
    23


    Default

    Why didn't you spell it out that way then? Okay, get ready....grab your chair.....hold on, because here it comes:
    Greatest marine diversity in the world
    Most WW II wrecks within territorial waters
    English spoken everywhere
    Beautiful terra firma
    Beautiful women
    Greatest number of varying ocean currents
    Surface temperatures are always nice
    Underwater temperatures constant in the 25-29 range
    Most beautiful women
    Awesome food selection
    Technical diving mecca
    All equipment is available
    Boats of every type/size
    Many price ranges with quality
    Uber awesome flight schedules
    Beautiful women
    Botanical wonders everywhere
    Geological wonders everywhere
    Great golfing
    Wind surfing
    Beautiful women
    Kite boarding
    Deep Sea fishing
    Awesome shopping
    Great value with foreign currency
    Stupendous selection of islands (7,107)
    Everyone smiles
    Everyone is polite (generally)
    Everyone welcomes foreigners
    Proud heritage and nationally proud
    Beautiful women
    Great jump off point for other Asian countries and affordable
    Great values in dive training
    Super doctors (take that DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES......<tongue sticking out>)
    Cities are modern (no elephants pooping in the street)
    Beautiful women
    Townships are trying hard to make tourism their number 1 priority
    Foreign investment is improving the quality of life everywhere
    .....never been to Thailand so what do I know

  13. #13
    Junior Member Babydamulag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Culasi, Philippines
    Posts
    23


    Default Did I Mention........

    Oh, and the women are beautiful.
    I know first-hand.....my wife is the most beautiful thing in my life.
    PADI OWSI, Specialty Instructor, EFRI #481247
    www.panayexplorers.com

  14. #14
    Site Moderator Grateful Diver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In the great, green northwest
    Posts
    2,195


    Default

    Forget about visiting the Philippines ... you guys are making me want to MOVE there ....

    ... Bob (Grateful Diver)

  15. #15
    Junior Member Babydamulag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Culasi, Philippines
    Posts
    23


    Default

    No worries.....you wouldn't be the first Kano to pitch everything and move to PARADISE ISLAND.
    PADI OWSI, Specialty Instructor, EFRI #481247
    www.panayexplorers.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A new HD macro video - Philippines
    By Sarah in forum Videography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 11:07 PM
  2. Dive The Philippines!
    By Babydamulag in forum Philippines
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 01:42 AM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 07:19 PM
  4. Mega DOR @ Puerto Galera, Philippines
    By jonix in forum Still Photography
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •