I love my SUUNTO Cobra dive computer. I found DM3 to be lacking some things, but all in all no too bad. Then came DM4 - UCK! Not ready for realease and made DM3 look terrrific. If I were buying a dive compuer today I would not buy a SUUNTO if I had to use DM4. There are some fine after market programs you can use instead of DM4 and I am looking at using one of those now.
Here is what I found to be an issue for me in DM 4 that SUUNTO needs to fix before I will buy or recommend their product again:
1. Dive Number – Had this in DM3 Nice to know thatI just made my 531st dive, instead I have to add up all my dives by year! Not acceptable.
2. Dive Number again – Had this in DM3 I make 3 or5 dives in a day and then print them out. Which one is dive 1 for the day and which is dive 2 or 5? No way of telling. If the dives were numbered asrecommended in item 1, then I could tell dive 531 came before dive 532.
3. Time of dive – had this in DM3. What time of dayI made the dive is not recorded. Againnice to know as different creatures come out at different times.
4. Can’t print – Had this in DM3 Seriously, I can’t print out my dive logs?Really? I have to save to PDF(nice feature) and then print the PDF. Could you possibly make this process morecumbersome?
5. Location – Had this in DM3 I can’t add where onthe planet earth this dive was unless I use the separate program MOVESCOUNT which I hate.
6. Movescount – not relevant to SCUBA as you arenot tracking our heart or breathing. I also don’t want to publish my dive logs to the public as I am a SCUBA instructor and make comments about my studentsfor their training records. These comments cannot be risked going on theinternet.
7. Movescount locks up my computer – port conflict.DM4 needs to be a stand alone product, not requiring Movescount for me to complete the standard information.
8. Manual – the program DM4 and Movescount are notthat easy to use for our dive computer application. We need a manual.
9. PDF Misalignment – the notes in the PDF print ontop of the start pressure and end pressure readings.
10. Weather is part of dive conditions. Day, night,cloudy, sunny are relevant information. OK I can put this one my notes, but DM3had a place for it.
11. Dive Boat – Had it in DM3
12. Equipment – DM3 had this, but now there is no place for me to click on Drysuit and standard kit or wetsuit and standard kit. What I am wearing effects the amount of weight I need. Useful information to ascuba diver.
13. Tags – what is this? Long list of unsorted stuffthat was in DM3 but now is useless as the list is not sorted, and is too long to be of value and all jumbled, dive buddies, dive locations, dive boats all in one list.
14. The dark bar at the top and bottom of thepage. What was this, a contest for howmuch of my black ink you could use up? Drop the dark bars, it just burns up ink.
15. DM4 gives me more room for my notes. That isgreat, but the lack of dive boat, dive buddy is bad. You could put both to theright of Average SAC, Start Pressure, End Pressure.
16. Export – I can’t export from DM4 like I could inDM3
17. DM4 shows it was written by a non-diver and is poorly executed and thought out.