The Dive Matrix -- Scuba Diving  

1. Register to join the Dive Matrix Scuba Diving community
Local Diver Search Photo Galleries Events Calendar Register for Free Register for Free Contact Us

Thread: What Doubles to get?

Default What Doubles to get?

Just just out of Navy after 22 Yrs and Looking to get back into Wreck and Tech again . I'm 5'10" 175lbs Back measurement on bench to T1 is 27" . Was looking at Dbl Worthington LP108's or 95's what would be a good choice? Also someone suggested LP85's . I also sling a 40cu as stage. Regards

Well, some of it comes down to what dives you are looking at doing. LP85s are nice tanks -- relatively light, and at least for me, they balance well -- but you will run up against reserve limits if you're doing much below 150. HP100s are some of the most popular tanks here in Puget Sound, because they're small and light for the volume they carry, and have enough gas for deeper dives, or for two recreational level dives.
    "What other sport is there where a cute woman has trouble getting rid of her underwear?" Doppler

As LCF said, the 85's will leave you a little short on reserves on the deeper/longer stuff. I used them for years by overfilling them and/or carrying a stage but that only goes so far. My limit with 85's was 20 at 200'. HP100's have similar characteristics to overfilled LP85's

A second issue that I experienced was the need to add weight to my waist to counteract the weight of the relatively short tank high on my back. For my 6'4" body the LP104 or X7-120 works very well.

Default I've Decided on tanks

Thanks for your input on this. I tried out several sets today and found the HP100's to be just right. If I need anything more I can sling another tank. Kind Regards, Craig

Instructor

I have dived a range of double tanks over the years and currently am using a few sets of double HP100s, HP130s and a single set of AL80s.

The HP100s are great for the shallower Tech 1 dives and beach dives where I am not willing to hump the weight of the 130s for limited additional benefit.

I use the HP130s for most of my Tech diving off of boats. Well balanced tanks with plenty of gas for the tech dives.

The AL80s are used once in awhile but the I don't like the length the tanks which are bit long for my 5'10" inch body but they are balanced in water and allow the diver to carry a good amount of ditchable weight.

I have a number of Faber LP95 tanks but they are now all broken into singles as when configured as doubles they tend to be top heavy and both the 100s and 130s work out as better tanks to dive. They are great as single tanks and I use them for during trips on the sailboat where the low pressure filling is enjoyed by all who have to put up with the noise of the compressor running in quiet anchorages.

Regards
    Marc Hall