The Dive Matrix -- Scuba Diving  

1. Register to join the Dive Matrix Scuba Diving community
Local Diver Search Photo Galleries Events Calendar Register for Free Register for Free Contact Us
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bent!

Thanks again for all the well wishes. It was with some trepidation that I made my original post, but I have been very pleased with the response. It's of course nice to hear that people care about my well being. It's even better to hear from so many, here and elsewhere who have had similar experiences. How they handled it, and what they learned adds to the knowledge base for everybody.

Tobin
    Innovative dive gear

https://www.deepseasupply.com/

Instructor

Tobin

Thanks for posting and glad to hear of your recovery.

Marc

Tobin,
    Thank you for sharing. As usual you are a caring individual and are taking this opportunity to share with others so that we may learn. What is it about ER's and DCI? Back in 2001, I too spent 4 hours in one when I took my hit while they scratched their heads and the hyperbaric chamber called repeatedly looking for me. Glad to hear you are doing well and staying dry as recommended for a while.

When I took a hit in 2001, dehydration was also the most likley cause as it was within table limits and the ascent was normal and even included deep stops etc.
    Last edited by Pasley; 02-15-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    Melvin Pasley
    LtCol (retired) US Army/Army Reserve
    Life is what you do, not what your gonna do.
    Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project.org volunteer, Handicapped SCUBA Association (HSA) Instructor, NAUI Instructor, California Ships to Reef Supporter

Senior George,

Sharing these incidents may be difficult, but it is important that we do.
    The more we know, the better.

Glad to see you are OK

Glad to hear that you're better now and thank you for sharing your story in so much depth.

Tobin, I'm really glad you're okay. Thank you for the comprehensive write up too. Never would have put you and the word --bent-- in the same sentence. I guess it's a reminder that it can happen to anyone.
    Fate is the hunter that seeks the unprepared.

Thanks everybody. I'm feeling pretty good now.

Tobin
    Innovative dive gear

Wow - what a ordeal. Glad to hear that you are on the mend, and thankful that you're willing to share the details of it.

I think I need to have a chat with my PCP - I've recently been prescribed 25mg of HCTZ and it has me feeling unusually
    fatigued. Given the kind of diving that I do there may be a better choice.
    Best regards -

gkn
    --
    Gerard K. Newman - NAUI #48937 - Kona, HI

Quote Originally Posted by gkndivebum View Post
    Wow - what a ordeal. Glad to hear that you are on the mend, and thankful that you're willing to share the details of it.

I think I need to have a chat with my PCP - I've recently been prescribed 25mg of HCTZ and it has me feeling unusually
    fatigued. Given the kind of diving that I do there may be a better choice.
    Sounds like a good idea. Be well.

Tobin
    Innovative dive gear

First, I'm glad to hear you are alright.

Second, thank you for sharing.
    Diver Steve knows his stuff!

Thanks for posting about both the incident itself, all the details of the medical process and the followup. A good reminder of how things you thought were minor could have large repercussions. And the need to stay on top of what's going on during medical care, and try to keep them from making things worse.

From Lynne's insightful post way back in 2008, "DCS: Surviving the Emergency Room":
    As I was driving home from work this morning, the idea for this thread gelled. I've been appalled repeatedly at people's reports of how they are treated in emergency rooms, when they show up with DCS symptoms, but I also empathize with ER docs who (especially in someplace landlocked, where diving is done in lakes or quarries) have never seen DCS before, and really don't know much about it . . .Second, realize that the people taking care of you may well know less about your malady than you do. Unless a physician works in a place where tons of diving is done and DCS cases aren't rare, he may well never have seen any diving-related problems. We are all trained to filter symptoms and signs through an intellectual sieve based on what we know; we'd much rather pigeonhole the patient in the familiar, than find ourselves on thin and shaky ground with a condition about which we know little or nothing. . .
    http://www.divematrix.com/showthread...ssion+Sickness
    For SoCal, signs & symptoms of DCS/AGE --always go with LA County General/USC Hospital ER Dept and the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber as needed:
    . . .>STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE FOR ALL COMMERCIAL SPORTDIVE BOATS HERE IN OFFSHORE LOS ANGELES COUNTY FOR A DIVING ACCIDENT --TRANSPORT IMMEDIATELY TO THE CATALINA HYPERBARIC CHAMBER VIA BAYWATCH BOAT OR US COAST GUARD HELICOPTER ("WHEN IN DOUBT, CHOPPER 'EM OUT") . . . THIS IS THE BEST MOST PRUDENT COURSE OF ACTION TO TAKE AS EITHER A FIRST RESPONDER OR VICTIM!!!
    http://www.divematrix.com/showthread...nland-Chambers
    Last edited by kevrumbo; 02-28-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: red
    "There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123