The Dive Matrix -- Scuba Diving  

1. Register to join the Dive Matrix Scuba Diving community
Local Diver Search Photo Galleries Events Calendar Register for Free Register for Free Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo Essay: Building a Fiber Optic Snoot

Fruit Pie the Magician. RIP Mo2vation's Avatar

Default Count Snootula - LIVES!!

This weekend I got out to Catalina for Sat and Sunday. I'll have a report with pics soon.

There were several objectives. When I go to the Dive Park these days, there will usually be a list of things I want to get done. This time:

1) Remote Strobes

• Setting up
    • Transporting
    • deploying
    • lighting
    • adjusting

2) Fiber Optic Snoot

• lighting for supermacro
    • lighting for standard Macro
    • axis adjustment
    • tolerances
    • durability

The snoot rocked! More images this week as I plow through the hundreds I shot. Here are two that will give you a good idea.

Both shot at about 80-some feet. Top of the Valiant wreck. Mexichromis. Same settings, same everything. No color correction, no photoshop voodoo. This is how they came out of the camera.

#1 - Lit with two strobes. Typical Nudi Shot you'll find anywhere. Head on, nicely lit, decent fade.

#2 - Same shot, same settings, lit exclusively with the snoots (left it in frame on the left for reference....) Plenty of snooty goodnessness. This is being lit from the left AND the right. LOVE the pearlessence on the algae on the right of the frame. That is nearly a total loss when lit traditionally.

Again - I can't see using this thing full time. Duh. But for the Nudi's that we fine in the right place at the right time - up on a pedestal, a rise, a little wall.... where I can get the lighting right - this is going to be an excellent artistic tool (much like myself....)

Huge thanks to HBDiveChica for her patience and help this weekend. I could not do this without her.

-K
    You've got some new momentum - you better keep on going
    Tomorrow soon will be your yesterday
    You've got to move to make it all the way... - NM

nice work Ken.

I've had the supplies for snootage in my garage for months now -- just haven't assembled the damn thing.

I think I'm going to need to now

Default More Snooty goodnessess - Octo in a hole

A modest SoCal octo in his hiding hole.

This is using the snoot for my key light, and using another on-camera strobe for fill.

This guy was SO patient. For about 4 or 5 minutes he put up with a lot from me, eventually raising his horns, blowing debris at me and finally grabbing the snoot and wrestling me for it.

#1) - getting the snoot aligned. I wanted to highlight the eye here. I really like shooting THROUGH the snoot, and not shooting into it. This is my fav way to shoot. Placing it into the hole kicked up some schmootz - as you'll see from the following shots. Here I'm aligning it, and using only the snoot.

#2) - in this shot I move the snoot a bit, adjust my position and introduce just a wee bit of aux on-camera strobe for fill light. Remember - the snoot is free-standing, remotely triggered. The fill light from the on-camera strobe is very high above the scene here. Because of its angle, the upper right corner (deep in the hole) is still dark. I know he has an arm wrapped up there, so I'll want to change the light angle to capture that.

Also, as this is still test shot time, I wasn't timing the siphon. In all my octo shots, I time the siphon to be full open or just slightly closed so its kind of tapered on the end. I love that!

#3) - Final shot. I pull in tighter with the 105mm lens to get the two snoot barrels out of the shot, I bring down the fill light just a tiny bit to deliver illumination deeper into the hole, and this is my keeper.

Dropping my POV a bit, I introduce some of the plant material in in the bottom of the frame, and get a great shot of his arm over his head - suckers and most of all, the rays of the suckers showing. I like the way this is framed, as it gives the feeling of looking through the opening at the animal, resting inside his deep hole.

With the snoot, the eye just glows, while the rest of him is lit just so. To get just the eye that hot, I'd have blown out the rest of the shot. All of these shots are posted just as they came out of the camera!

I like this shot a lot. I've shot many dozens of shots of Octos in this same hole over the years. This is one of my fav shots of this spot. I'm really pleased with how this came out. All of the components I look for in an octo shot are there:

• Full view of the eye
    • Siphon open
    • Contrasts of the different skin types. Bonus points when the "Giraffe Skin" underneath the wrapped arm is clearly seen
    • Suckers in the shot. Bonus points for the rays of the suckers

So much more to learn.

Up next - a high-output snoot.

More soon.

-Ken

Giant California Roll Karen Cleveland's Avatar

Nice shots Ken! Amazing detail. The pearlessence effect is awesome. Usually don't see that in photos.

Karen

Unified Team Diver

Awesome shots Ken.

I agree! Great shots!

Ken,
    This is really good stuff.
    I was thinking that a third longer light pipe to add a hairlight effect might be good.

Default heehee...

Yes - modifications include:

• Lengthening these two arms by 3 segments

• Building another one with a 3/4 ID and 1/2" exit diameter (the one pictured is 1/2 ID, 1/4" exit) - so essentially a one-armed phatty snoot

When used in combination (they're both remote fired... so why not?) I will achieve that hair light effect you describe here.

Its remarkable - the difference between shooting WITH the shoots (i.e.: they're firing the same way the lens is pointing...think Octo pic, above), shooting AGAINST the snoots (i.e.: snoot pointing INTO the lens, so the subject is silhouetted) and shooting HALF WAY with the snoots (like the Nudi pics - whereby the snoots light from the left and the right...)

The effects are dramatically different.

I used a strobe for my fill light. If I do this right, I can continue to use the current double arm snoot for my Key Light, and use the phatty Snoot (AKA: Snootzilla) for my fill light.

Parts are on order. Stay tiny tuned....

-K

Ken.
    As far as I know, you are the only one who has ever done this.

"Yeah I knew Ken Kopp before he got famous" - JS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Shaw View Post
    Ken.
    As far as I know, you are the only one who has ever done this.

"Yeah I knew Ken Kopp before he got famous" - JS
    I think there are a number of versions of this over on Wet Pixel. Nothing quite like this, but we're all going to school on each other, really.

Thanks, buddy.

I can't wait to get the PhatShoot going. I'm also making a SuperSoaker version - phat and very, very long to get deep into some of the holes we find.

Would love loved to have the SuperSoaker for the GPO shoots chica and I did with our PNW homies in October.

-K

May I have this dive? HBDiveGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mo2vation View Post
    ...SuperSoaker...
    Bwhahahahahaha!!!!

A Gloss-In-One!

You rule!

~~~~~~
    Chica
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Mo2vation View Post
    Would love loved to have the SuperSoaker for the GPO shoots chica and I did with our PNW homies in October.
    -K
    The GPO would still have it.
    John Sampson
    Phoenix, AZ

Default The SuperSoaker Parts are on the way!!!

3/4 ID of flexy goodness will be here soon.

Same with the 150 strand bundle. It'll be interesting cutting that one... I'm sure my wirecutters won't work. I do have some bolt cutters....

Can't wait. More pics with the new phatty Snoot soon!

-K

Hey Ken, I sent ya a PM about some cutters
    _________
    JETFIXER

Default Parts in the house!!!

I have parts to build another two standard Snoots (v2 and v3) - with some design modifications...stay tuned.

Also in are the parts to build a Fatty Snoot (1/2" exit diameter) and the SuperSoaker (3/4" exit diameter)

I got the F/O cable in, too. 150 strand. Makes it about 1/2 inch... Should throw tons of light in a larger area. Can't wait to test it on Chamber Day next week.

Here are the three Snoot Ends. The one on the left is the 1/4 exit. The middle is the 1/2" Fatty Snoot. Both of these will reside on 1/2 ID LocLine. The SuperSoaker on the right - that's 3/4", and will be the end of 3/4 ID Locline.

Here they are looking down the business end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast